Saturday, June 29, 2013

What a DAY!

Just spent one of the best days of my life yesterday.  Started out leisurely enough, waking and getting dressed and ready to go to San Francisco at a relaxed pace.  Drove down as it was getting beastly hot - by the time I reached San Mateo and my friend Jennifer's house, it was nearing 100, a fairly rare heat for being so close to the Bay.  After a side trip to get some new shoes (after all, when out of the mountains everything is like a metropolis to me.  Funny that, after having lived in huge cities MOST of my life), we went on to ACT and the sold out Neil Gaiman book signing (his last ever).  The theater, four floors of seats (gorgeous old Curran Theater), was sold out and packed.  I didn't think we'd have a chance in hell to meet him.  But once he started reading and talking with us, I didn't care.

The Curran Theater, on a very glorious San Francisco afternoon.
Until - he mentioned that he likes to do signings 'airplane style' - pregnant ladies (I'm not) and disabled people (I am) first.  WOOHOO.

I was fourth in line to meet him, and got his new book signed as well as my old copy of 'Death'.


Surrounded by women.  He wasn't complaining.

The woman in front of me had a VERY rare poster of Sandman.  Neil said, 'I thought I had the only copy of this!'

Signing one of my books.  Thanks, Jennifer, for going with me and for taking these great pictures.
It was all over much too quickly.  We headed back to San Mateo (about 15 minutes south), and peeped in at our good friends Danny and Christopher, who have the most beautiful old Victorian in the middle of town.  They were having a blast in the cooling off evening, and Mark was there with them - we stayed for a while, but honestly were too tired to stay long.  It was back to Jennifer's house to sleep.  That didn't come quickly, though!  I was so happy to finally meet someone I admire so much I kept reliving the day over in my head.

Back up the mountain this morning I'm curled up under a big fan with the computer and a copy of Ocean at the End of the Lane.  It's a good day.

Love, J

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to do a book signing.
    Glad you had such a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! It was a really really Good Day. xoxo J

      Delete
  2. oh my god! thats so wonderful, im so happy for you. and how awesome of him to do 'airplane style.' now i have more questions tho- why is it his last ever? what disability? why dont you have your blog list organized by newest updated (which would put me higher up on the list)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fanci!!! So, Girl - to answer:

    He's said it's his last ever 'signing' tour. He will still do book reading tours but the signings wear him out. I don't know how long he was in SF, but the night before he was in LA, and signed for fans until 2AM. He loves us, that's for sure.

    Disability - well, legally categorized, I suppose. I have MS, and after being a dancer for quite a while it is difficult sometimes to accept that your legs don't work so well anymore! Bleh. So legally I'm disabled, but I don't like that definition at all.

    As for your third question - I fixed it, love. I don't know why I had it the way I did, and a few things need cleaning up, but that is definitely fixed.

    XOXO J XOXO

    ReplyDelete