Sunday, March 11, 2012

My little table at my first Art Fair.


It looks so small.  And yet so much work goes into these fairs, it's incredible.  On the 'other side' of this fair, I have learned a lot about what people look at, what they look for, and what might sell at which fair.  Things I really didn't think much about, and really had to experience to find out if this is something I might do again.

I learned:

- that some of my work probably won't sell at all at these fairs, BUT that people really seem to like to talk about my pieces and ask questions.

- that people really respond to my use of copper, recycled materials, and beeswax in a positive way.

- that I might sell some other items at these fairs if I am interested in exploring suggestions.  One of them that made me think 'hmm, maybe!' was a request for wine 'stoppers.'  They might be pretty cool to do!

- that if I want to sell at these fairs in the summer, I might have really look for the shows that are catered towards audiences that will buy my things, OR offer more of a variety of items.

- that there are a LOT of beautiful classy little old ladies in a 30 mile radius who adore art and have cash. 

- that there continues to be no end of incredible talent in these mountains.  I've made some incredible friends so far and am loving this community!

- that I will try this again.  Definitely.

4 comments:

  1. Looks nice, it's an ever evolving process and a rewarding experience in most cases. Finding the right fit at shows is important. The least expensive shows usually garner the least sales in my experience.
    Good luck, xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your input. I think you're right about the least expensive shows. It's a bummer that some cost so much. xoxo Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your display looks very nice. I've been doing shows since 2007 and with each one I learn something new. I take three large tables, and at the end of the day I'm exhausted. Any more there is a trend around here towards mass made jewelry and imported cheap stuff from China eventhough the shows are listed to be all handmade. The economy is so bad here that people are spending less on jewelry. And while they appreciate what I make, ooooh and ahhh over it, bring their friend/hubby/mother over to see it, and take a business card...most of them end up walking away without buying a thing. Later I will see them with the cheaper mass made stuff. Sooooo, I'm slowing down with the shows because I tend to spend more money on fees and expenses than what I make. It definately depends a lot on the type of people in the surrounding area--some appreciate handmade and some are happy with mass made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, thanks for your valuable input. I may do another to see how it goes but do need to pay close attention on the attendance, and what customers are really drawn to actually purchase. Talking about this has really helped focus my ideas! Xoxo, Juliette

      Delete